Voting

Sunday, July 11, 2010

You Like Me...You really like me...

A flashback of a Sally Field's acceptance speech for an award in the 70's ran through my mind when I got an approval that the family likes me...."You like me, you really like me!" If you don't know the Greek culture...Let me give you a little tidbit. When you first meet a Greek (not in all cases), you will probably think that they do not like you and they can come across kind of standoffish, while somehow still being very very hospitable. My first time here, I thought this one Greek woman hated me and then by the end of the semester, i found out I was one of her favorite Americans. So this time around...I was not sure how I was doing with the lady that I work for. My job description had been so vague and I was hoping that I was doing enough but she had not really said anything so I was not sure and I was wanting to lean to the side that she did not like me. One night though, I was talking to Maria, the nanny, and she said she wants me to come back every summer...That was really nice of her to say! But then I told her that I was not sure if Anna, the mom, liked me. She informed me that she sees me playing and doing things with the kids and that she likes me, but I was not 100% convinced. The next morning, I was thinking to myself that I am kind of a "words of affirmation" person and that it would be so nice if Anna would just say one thing to let me know that I was doing enough or doing a good job. Well, maybe 30 min later, Anna and I are talking. She out of the blue says, that it was such a good thing to have an English teacher here this summer and that she wants me to come back every summer. Wow! Well, I would say that's a pretty good approval. She told me to think about it and let her know. Now I am not sure if I would come back again for the whole summer but it is definitely an option. So that is an answered prayer that they approve of me and that I am doing a good job!

No comments: