Voting

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Θεσσαλονικη...

Not this past weekend but the weekend before that I got to take a trip up to Northern Greece to Thessaloniki (which is what the title of this blog says in Greek). Thessaloniki is the second biggest city in Greece and it's the town Paul wrote a letter to in the Bible (1 and 2 Thessalonians). I went with 3 of my Greek friends and we took a long weekend since it was a holiday here in Greece. It was a 6 hr. train ride up there and the scenery on the ride up was beautiful! We saw everything...Green hills, snow-capped mountains, sheep, caves, small villages...I felt like I was in a movie! We had a very relaxing time up there; we didn't do anything too crazy and exciting! We saw the ruins and famous churches that are famous up there, we went to the zoo...I touched a baby snake...So scary! We went to my friend's village, which is like a small town...Which I was mistaken because when I hear the word village, I think: people coming out of huts and sitting around a bonfire...haha...but it was nothing like that...They just call their really small towns here villages. We went to a couple churches on Sunday and just walked along the harbor. I had amazing homemade Greek food as usual and just got to have a good time spending time with my friends. Thessaloniki is an amazing city...maybe even a little better than Athens...It's cleaner, has some really cool stores to shop at, some great little coffee shops to sit at, etc...Definitely a place everyone should visit and I would love to go up there again!


All of us that went to Thessaloniki...Fevronia, Fivos, Stathis, and me!


The White Tower...It was a Byzantine tower, then a prison, and now a museum.


Yummy...Eating delicious greek food...Maybe I'll be able to cook some when I get home!


The very famous...Arch of Galerius, who was an Emperor


This picture is crap...but it was seriously the most beautiful view I have ever seen...We were looking out and walking along the seacoast and there just cascades of mountains that were snow-covered...Breath-taking!


Being goofy in the door of the train station :)


Here is a video from the weekend! Enjoy!

No comments: