Voting

Sunday, January 1, 2012

perfection.

Get skinnier. Wear more makeup. Flirt more. Tighter clothes. Do whatever it takes to get boys attention. Have sex. Be PERFECT.

The world we live in has swamped girls young and old with the idea that we need the things above, in order to feel better about ourselves and be accepted. Basically....you must LOOK perfect, BE perfect, SAY the perfect things, and THINK perfectly to feel secure in our society. These ideas about what women should be, have come from movies, music, magazines, and other people in our lives...and they couldn't be more wrong. It is teaching women to be insecure with who they are and how they have been created. This has not only affected the "outside world" though....

Unfortunately, these ideas have infiltrated what is supposed to be the one place where IMPERFECT people come flawed and all...the church...But most are denying it or not even realizing they have become a slave to these things that the world says they should be.

And I am included in group. I want to make a change though. I want others to join me.


Insecurity has become like the plague to me. Insecurity about physical appearance, relationships, jobs, finances, future, etc. roll around in my head, come out of my mouth, and show through my actions at times. This has happened because I believe the lie that I have to be PERFECT. I am not perfect. But JESUS is. He is the only one that ever will be.

One specific area of insecurity I have is the thought of going without makeup for an extended amount of time. I have decided for the month of January to go make-up free. I realized that it has become a security blanket. It covers up my flaws. I feel more acceptable if I have it on. I feel like I look prettier with it on....I don't want to feel enslaved to something....So makeup-free it is.

I want to see myself through God's eyes. He created me just the way He wanted me.

This will not be an easy month. I will be updating the blog throughout this month long journey and let you know how it is going.

lord,
let me see beauty and perfection
through your eyes, not mine.
for you are the only one that is perfect and you made all things
just the way you desired.
refine and purify my heart.
inner and not outer.
in your matchless and perfect name,
amen.

1 comment:

agirlinport said...

I hope you get the chance to share this with the girls at small group. We can pray for you during this fast. And I think you made a great point. We are not perfect, but Jesus is! What a great truth.